Thursday, September 17, 2009

Oakland Badass-ness strikes again!




This time I reference the Oakland Underground Film Festival, taking place in Alameda this weekend. Wait, the Oakland Film Fest is in Alameda? Well my fair friends, as you may or may not know, Alameda was once part of modern day Oakland. In fact it was a wee peninsula, covered with one of the largest Oak Groves in the world, which is how Oakland got its name (see history can be fun, or at least interesting). Sadly, 99% of that forest, along with the land that connected us, is now gone. The point being, having the Fest in Alameda is not so far fetched after all. I will leave it to you to sift through the majority of their offerings, but a couple stood out to me, and I wanted to share them here:

Incredibly Strange Creatures who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies
Need I say more? No!

and

Waterlife
Ever since seeing the documentries Flow and Addicted to Plastic, I have been incredibly facinated with the way our water gets to us, what we do to it, and how we can make things better. This flick promises to cover additional ground, like about the Great Lakes, and the aging infastructure that delivers our precious H2O. Needless to say, I am excited!

You can find their website HERE. Tickets are only $7 per show, or $25 for the whole weekend. Trust me, the coolness points you will earn going to an underground festival on an abandoned military base will make those costs seem like a pittance. Check out the vodka tastings at Hanger One while you are out there!

No comments: